Do you know a new mom or have a friend who is expecting? Are you looking for a creative, helpful way to support her without breaking the bank?
Here are a few budget-friendly ways to support the new mama in your life:
- Run an errand. And rather than offering, “Let me know if you need anything,” call your friend and say, “I’m on the way to the store. What do you need?” If you tell her you are on your way to the store anyway, she will feel less like she is imposing on you or causing you to make a special trip.
- Furry friends can feel a bit neglected when the baby arrives, so having someone come by after work and walk and play with the dog is a huge help. Mom guilt is bad enough – this will help alleviate any “dog guilt” while your friend focuses on her baby.
- Arrange freezer meals for the new mother by soliciting friends and family. Organize this on her behalf, especially as many moms are unable or do not feel like cooking toward the end of their pregnancy.
- Watch the other kids, if she has more than one, while they adjust to life with a newborn. Take them out of the house if you can, even if it is just to the back yard. If you are able, an outing to a park or to the movies is a special treat for the new older sibling(s).
- Be a magical cleaning fairy and come clean the house while mom and baby sleep. Rather than saying, “Let me know if I can help clean,” offer specific windows of time when you are available. Without offering specific dates and times, it is less likely that your friend will take you up on your offer, as she may not want to impose. Be the one who initiates setting the date.
- If you don’t have a lot of time, stop by before or after work and bring the family flowers to brighten their space. Sweet, simple, thoughtful.
- Decorate their house as a surprise before the new mom comes home from the hospital. Raid the dollar store for fun, inexpensive decorations. And lots of balloons. Balloons are cheap and go a long way in making a room feel festive!
- Take the family vehicle to get washed and vacuumed. Who doesn’t love a clean car? Something about a clean car makes you feel like you can conquer the world! That’s a feeling any new mom will greatly appreciate.
Ultimately, these are thoughtful things to do for any mom of young kids, not only parents of newborns. Have any ideas to add the list above? Let us know in the comments!